10.09.2008

yikes!

Not that this is anything that you don't already know... but we just got the monthly statement for our retirement fund and it was pretty sickening. What I saw: a big fat negative $7227 all LOST in a single month (more than a quarter of the fund)... YIKES!

Interestingly, my reaction was more of awe than real shock... every day on the radio I hear about how the DOW lost such and such points, but this means nothing to me (To my Dad, Yes. But to me? No.) I guess this mutual fund statement was the visual aid I needed to make it all real.

But something my Dad has taught me is to be invested for the long term and not to worry. The United States IS a great country and these things will work themselves out... eventually. So here's what I'm going to do: I'm filing that statement away, going to be grateful that we still have several years before we retire, and forgetting about it. Chocolate anyone?

3 comments:

Dana Broderick said...

I'll take some chocolate please.

Summer said...

I completely agree! Chocolate does sound really good! P.S. Thanks for taking Brooklyn last night! We're going to miss our neighbors!

flem-fam said...

I quit looking when I saw that we lost over $1000 in a single day. It's too depressing to watch.