12.04.2008

christmas sing along

My sister-in-law once accused me of being Scrooge-like for not wanting to listen to Christmas music in October. I am a lover of music and I especially love Christmas music, but for some reason I feel like seasonal music should be played during its season. Strange, I know. So to dispel the myth that I am the one who over-works Bob Cratchit and "Baa Humbugs" all the well-wishers, I decided this year to share a few of my favorite Christmas songs.

1. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (John Beltran Remix)
- Bing Crosby & Ella Fitzgerald
As a kid I liked singing about Rudolph. I especially liked adding the extra comments after each line. You know: "Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer, had a very shiny nose. (Like a light bulb!)" But once I got a little older the song just got annoying. Then I stumbled on this remixed version of Bing Crosby and Ella Fitzgerald and the song has once again made my favorite's list.

2. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Diana Krall
Aside from being knock-out gorgeous Diana Krall has a voice like honey. Her rendition of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" will make you want to snuggle up in front of the yule log with her and some wassail, or your wife if she isn't available.

3. Carol of the Bells - John Williams
Other than the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah, no song brings visions of angels praising the birth of Jesus Christ quite like "The Carol of the Bells." Even though the lyrics of the song make no mention of the Nativity, I imagine this is more what the chorus of angels who sang to the shepherds sounded like. Its reverence is more appropriate for a newborn baby.

4. White Christmas - The Drifters
The king of Christmas music, Bing Crosby, made this Irving Berlin song a classic in the movie by the same name, but The Drifters version is by far my favorite. Now that I reside in Phoenix I don't get to enjoy a white Christmas as often as I used to, but somehow when I walk outside to 70 degree weather, as opposed to -13 degree weather in Wyoming, I don't mind so much.

5. Mele Kalikimaka - Bing Crosby
Speaking of warmer climes, I have never been to Hawaii, much less spent a Christmas there, but I've loved this Bing Crosby tune since I first heard it. I enjoy the imagery of beaches and palm trees in contrast to the traditional image of a snow-covered Christmas.

6. Please Come Home for Christmas - The Eagles
Okay, so it is a little bluesy, but oft times people feel sad on Christmas, and when they do they can crank up this song by Don Henley and his boys.

7. My Favorite Things - Tony Bennett
Maybe it's because I first heard this song from the lips of Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music, or maybe it's because most guys I know don't include "raindrops on roses" and "whiskers on kittens" on their list of favorite things, but to me this song was written for a woman's voice. Unfortunately I was unable to find a link to Anita Baker's version that I like so much, so instead I am offering this rendering by Tony Bennett, which is pretty good, other than the fact that I don't believe him when he sings about how much he loves his "warm woolen mittens."

8. Little Drummer Boy - Harry Simeone Chorale
No song celebrates the humility of Christ's birth better than "The Little Drummer Boy." It literally brings tears to my eyes to think about a young boy who, realizing he has no precious metals or spices to offer the newborn Son of God, instead gives the only thing he has by playing a song on his drum.

9. I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm (Stuhr Remix) - Kay Starr
This one was a tough call. I also love Billie Holiday's scratchy-voiced version of this song but in the end I opted to nominate this remixed party version to my favorite's list.

10. Merry Christmas Baby - Elvis Presley
You can't have a playlist of Christmas music without including a tune by Elvis Presley. Although Blue Christmas is his most well-known, my favorite is "Merry Christmas Baby." The sound captures everything that Elvis was.

11. O Tannenbaum - Vince Guaraldi Trio
Sometimes the perpetual loser Charlie Brown drives me crazy with his dopey ways. Fortunately his friend Linus knows how to play the piano and every year provides us with classics like "O Tannenbaum," courtesy of the Vince Guaraldi Trio.

12. Baby It's Cold Outside - Dean Martin
Dean Martin's version of this rather suggestive Christmas song is the most popular and certainly a favorite of mine, but I would have to pick the version performed by Louis Armstrong and Velma Middleton and remixed by King Kooba as my favorite. Unfortunately, I could not find a streaming copy to link here. To listen to it just go to iTunes and download it for a mere 99 cents, plus tax.

13. O Holy Night - Josh Groban
Perhaps my favorite religiously-themed Christmas song, "O Holy Night" has been performed beautifully by many artists (and slaughtered by a few), but I would have say this version by Josh Groban is the best.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Hey Bettijo! I've had fun browsing your blog and seeing pictures of your CUTE girls! I enjoyed listening to all of your Christmas song fav's too! Great to see what you guys are up to!

hc said...

i assume i made that comment...i hardly think you're scrooge! and i love the list! miss you guys! see you in a few. h

Hirschi Law Group said...

Actually it was Chrisie.